Our board certified veterinary orthopedic surgeons utilize state-of-the-art orthopedic techniques and technology to treat injuries and diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
The veterinary team at Boston West’s veterinary orthopedic surgery center specializes in all facets of orthopedic care for your pet. As veterinary orthopedic surgeons, we offer a wealth of expertise in helping you optimize your pet’s mobility through specialized orthopedic surgeries and treatments. As the only veterinary hospital in Massachusetts focused solely on the sub-specialty of orthopedic surgery, we dedicate our time and expertise to the unique surgical needs of pets with orthopedic conditions.
What to Expect
We aim to enhance your pet’s quality of life through advanced and specialized surgical treatments. Our team focuses on restoring mobility, optimizing joint function, improving range of motion, and alleviating the pain that is associated with orthopedic disease and injury. Our personalized approach intimately involves you, the pet owner, and your primary veterinarian in every step of the process, from consultation until your pet is fully recovered.
Veterinary Orthopedic Surgical Services
Our board certified veterinary orthopedic surgeons utilize state-of-the-art orthopedic techniques and technology to treat injuries and diseases of the musculoskeletal system; this includes the bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, and tendons of the body.
Traditional state-of-the-art surgery and arthroscopic techniques are available for the following conditions in pets
This is an incomplete list; please call if you need to refer a patient for a condition that is not listed below.
- Cranial Cruciate ligament tears
- Lateral Suture
- Medial and Lateral Patellar Luxation
- Elbow, Shoulder, Tarsal Arthroscopy
- Joint luxation of the elbow, shoulder, tarsal, and hip
- Ligament and tendon injuries
- Carpal hyperextension injury
- Achilles tendon injury/Calcanean tendon injury
- Biceps Tenosynovitis
- Supraspinatus tendinopathy
- Medial shoulder instability
- Angular limb deformities
- Developmental/Juvenile growth disorders
- Elbow dysplasia
- Hip dysplasia
- Osteochondrosis dissecans (OCD) in the shoulder, knee, and tarsus
Common surgical procedures for referral include
- Total hip replacement
- Joint arthrodesis
- Arthroscopic surgery for elbow dysplasia
- Arthroscopic surgery for osteochondrosis dissecans (shoulder, stifle, elbow, tarsus)
- Angular limb deformity correction
- Ligament and tendon reconstruction
- Joint resurfacing
- Joint luxation stabilization
Orthopedic Medicine, Interventional Pain Management, and Sports Medicine Services
Recognizing that not all patients with orthopedic and musculoskeletal disease require surgery, our specialists offer expertise in the following modes of non-surgical therapy.
- Non-surgical management of orthopedic disease
- Osteoarthritis management
- Non-surgical tendon and ligament injury
- Non-surgical joint luxation
- Custom orthotics for musculoskeletal conditions and injuries
- Stem Cell and Platelet rich plasma treatments
Our specialists provide a wide range of services to diagnose musculoskeletal conditions before developing a treatment plan. These include:
- Lameness examinations and consultations
- Digital Radiography
- Computed Tomography (CT scan)
We work side by side with the Boston West 24-hour emergency department to ensure that patients in need of overnight observation following surgery are well cared for. Our team works collaboratively with our sister hospital, Massachusetts Veterinary Referral Hospital, in Woburn. If your pet needs additional inpatient or outpatient services, such as critical care, longer-term hospitalization, MRI, or Musculoskeletal Ultrasound, we will work with you and a surgeon at Mass Vet to ensure he or she receives the care needed. This intensely specialized yet collaborative approach allows the team at Boston West to focus directly on your pet’s orthopedic and mobility needs while still prioritizing your pet’s complete medical picture.